2010年4月4日星期日

What aren't kids reading 2

I kind of like the idea in theory, that a kid reads what they want to read for the class, yet at the same time, I've discovered books I enjoyed that I likely never would've picked up if not taught them (Virginia Woolf in general, "A Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood, "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles, "To Kill A Mockingbird", among many others). That isn't even getting into the short stories I discovered.

I like the idea of a student maybe bringing something to class for the first week or two and the teacher individually tailoring suggestions/ideas to that student (i.e. what was mentioned on Page 3?) to broaden their horizons and push them to slightly more challenging material.

A kid interested in warfare could be pushed to read "The Things They Carried" for example by Tim O'Brien whereas a person into more darker supernatural tinged material could read Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" or works by Poe.

没有评论:

发表评论